EDIT 1/3/2014: Over a year later, I now consider this to be a fairly naive post. I wrote this before I'd really researched the literary industry and before jumping back into reading contemporary novels, which I learned can be pretty damn awesome. Sure, classic novels are great, but reading only classics is limiting. I am now happily reading fiction from both "genres" (including YA fantasy!) and enjoying the merits of both (more on that in this post). I'll keep this post here, though, as a testament to how much someone's opinion can change if they open their mind and do some research.
Since I've been learning about the literary industry and the world surrounding it for the past few months, I've picked up on a couple of things concerning my placement in it. For those of you who are unaware, if you're gonna sell your work, you have to know what genre and category your book falls into. My series, for example, involves an alternate universe where its inhabitants practice magic, so genre-wise, it must be fantasy. It is also told from the perspective of a teenager and deals with teenage problems, so it is categorized as young adult fiction, or YA (something I only recently discovered because I was very...confused. I didn't quite get that anything other than slang-heavy language in YA can be acceptable and that length doesn't determine the category, so for a while I thought it was adult fiction. Whoops.).
And then there's something else literary agents and publishers tell you to do: know your genre. That means if you're writing fantasy, they expect you to read widely in fantasy. That way, you will know where your book belongs in the current market, and how to sell your book to readers. It makes perfect sense.
Now, here's my deal: most of my favorite books are at least fifty years old. My favorite authors at the moment are Leo Tolstoy and James Joyce, who both died in the early twentieth century, meaning they wrote and published their best work even earlier than that. I can't help it. Whenever I visit a bookstore, I automatically wander into the classic fiction section and find myself reaching for a Conan Doyle or a Wilde or a Bronte. I do not read classic fiction because I think it will make me smarter, or because I think all of it is good, or purely because I want to understand my literary roots. The latter was my initial reason for getting into classics--my first was Austen's Pride and Prejudice--because I thought it important to familiarize myself with the canon if I wanted to be a writer. And then I fell in love with it.
Classic novels fascinate me. There is something powerful enough about them to transcend generations. Someone in the early 1900s was equally as mesmerized by Joyce's "Eveline" as I was in 2011. That is a one-hundred-year difference. If there's any mark I want to leave on this world through my writing, it's one of universality. I want to affect people beyond my own lifespan. This is one reason I write so much about emotion--everyone can identify with emotion, even if only in a general sense.
But oh, woe is me (please read that sarcastically). I read classic, literary novels, yet for some inexplicable reason, the story that popped into my head and forced me to fall in love with it was a fantasy.
There is good news and bad news. The bad news is that, since I don't generally read YA fantasy (at least not yet--if I wanna work in this business I'll need to put on my big girl panties and read some!), I'm not as familiar with my market as regular YA fantasy readers are. I can almost feel the agents wrinkling their noses now (I'm exaggerating, of course--many of the agents I've researched and follow on Twitter seem like lovely, fun people, and I've heard several of them say things like this aren't a total dealbreaker. But I enjoy mocking the stereotypical, rigid, stick-up-the-ass agent many writers seem to think inhabit every single agency in the world). I am not yet as informed as others might be about what's been done and what hasn't, what's popular right now, and what fantasy stories readers are connecting with these days. If I don't work really hard, it may be harder for me to sell my book.
But by primarily reading classics, I also have an edge. I'm coming at fantasy from a perspective many fantasy readers/writers do not have access to unless they read classics as avidly as I do. I am free of the temptation to imitate other fantasy writers' ideas and styles, making it easier for me to develop a fantastical world and story that does not inadvertently rip off a popular fantasy writer. My works reference Joyce and Dostoevsky (where appropriate). And best of all, I read works that have persisted through the ages. I have carefully studied their prose, the way they play with words, the figurative language they use, the detail they commit to description and to subtlety. I've paid rapt attention to which characters are the most compelling and have captured the hearts of millions of readers, past and present. I have immersed myself in what these stories say about humanity, how the context the book was written in (era, location, etc.) impacted its story/character/prose elements, and how it influenced the people of its time.
Of course, I am in no way insinuating that classic fiction is "better" than current fiction, or better than current YA fantasy. Modern fantasy novels can have all of these wonderful things. The advantage the classics have, though, is that they've stood the test of time. The novels of today haven't had the opportunity to do that yet. By focusing on books that haven't been forgotten despite being decades, perhaps hundreds of years old, I am exposing myself to books that stand out. And from what I can understand, agents and publishers love any book that stands out.
I am also not claiming that my own writing comes anywhere close to matching the quality of the classic novels I read. Hell no. If you hear any writer say, "I'm the next [insert classic novelist here]," feel free to roll your eyes, because no one can claim that. No one. But hopefully, if I continue to be a good, attentive reader and apply what I learn from classic novels to my writing, some of their masterful techniques will rub off on me. If I ever write anything that stands the test of time, I know I'm very, very far away from reaching that point right now. Maybe I'll get there, maybe I won't. But that "maybe I won't" turns into "I definitely won't" if I stop trying.
Until recently, I was ashamed of the strange contrast between my reading interests and my writing interests. I felt embarrassed and out of place. But then I thought, so what? This is who I am. This is what I like to read and this is what I like to write. And I think what I read makes me a better writer, regardless of its genre. I don't even like to place my work, or any work, in a genre, but I know it's necessary for agents and publishers to do so. I am writing the story I love, literary leanings and all. It just happens to have magical elements and take place in an alternate world. I'm proud of this series. I have been since I started writing it, and I doubt that will ever really change.
To be fair, I have read some YA fantasy, so I'm not going in completely blind. Anyone who Googles me can figure out pretty quickly how obsessed I used to be (and still am, to an extent) with Harry Potter (but really, who wasn't?). I plan to read more YA fantasy so I know what's been done and what hasn't. I also probe the fantasy literature world in different ways--for years, I've frequented websites visited by hordes of writers who primarily stick to fantasy, and I read their discussions about cliches they see often, what they like to see in fantasy, common mistakes made in fantasy (including the brilliant, well-known essays by limyaael [offsite link], which are more helpful than I can describe), tips on worldbuilding, etc. In addition, I'm aware of the many resources I can use to track what fantasy literature is currently popular. There are multiple avenues I can take.
So, I'm stuck between a rock and an old place. I swoon over the work of long-dead authors, yet I still wanna break through that daunting rock, the literary industry. The nice things about rocks is, if hit with a powerful enough force, they erode. They are molded by that force, changed into something new. The literary industry is constantly meeting new waves and adjusting to the altered currents. Today, literary professionals may not want to see the work of a fantasy writer influenced by Stoker and Capote. Tomorrow, they may be wild for it.
If I ever get a literary agent, he or she will not care that I don't write typical fantasy. That agent will believe in my writing and in my story. I believe in me. Maybe someone else will, too.
-Morgan
Writer of YA and adult, fantasy and contemporary
Friday, November 30, 2012
Stuck Between A Rock and An Old Place
Posted on 2:09:00 AM by Morgan York
| 25 comments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I believe in you and I will be rooting for your very first book to be published and I don't care whether if would be a modern fantasy like Vampire Academy or a classic like The Count of Monte Cristo because I love both genre. I know that you will go far
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Kim! It means a lot.
ReplyDeleteDear Morgan,
ReplyDeleteI am your fan from Malaysia. I like your movies, the Cheaper by the Dozen 1, 2 and The Pacifier. Enjoy reading your post and hope we can share our experience in life.
See ya. =)
Thanks for reading and for your comments!
ReplyDeleteHi Morgan,
ReplyDeleteFirstly, I'd like to say that I enjoy reading your posts. I actually find the views you express similar to my own. It seems like you're definitely a "thinker". Being a writer myself, I appreciate other thinkers. It's sometimes nice to just ponder things for a while.
I'd like to mention something that caught my attention in this post. I truly hope this doesn't sound the least bit insulting, but if it does, please know that I'm not intending to be rude. When you briefly described the synopsis of the series you're working on, it reminded me of...well another series with a very similar synopsis. A very successful series at that. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, this surprised me, because you seem like someone with an abundance of originality and innovative ideas. So I'm just wondering, why not try something that hasn't been done before?
Now, of course yours is not going to be EXACTLY the same as the particular series I'm thinking of, but the general idea sounds essentially the same as the implied series. Perhaps it's where you drew your inspiration from, or maybe you aspire to be like the writer of that series, but I hope you have found ways to make yours different enough to be thought of as unique. I'm sure you have, you are definitely smart enough and seemingly creative enough!
Have a wonderful New Year!
Katrina.
Hi Katrina,
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting, reading, and complimenting! But I'm a little confused about your comment. The only description I gave of my series is this: "My series, for example, involves an alternate universe where its inhabitants practice magic." That's an incredibly vague premise, and there is a lot more to it than this. There are scores of books that follow this loose premise, and there are a million different things that can be done with it. In fact, I believe there's an entire subgenre of fantasy (called second-world fantasy) that deals with these types of stories.
I don't mean to bash your comment at all, and I'm really happy you posted your thoughts (also incredibly flattered that you think I'm original and innovative--wow! Thank you so much!). I'm just honestly confused.
Also, another thing I'm puzzling over: "When you briefly described the synopsis of the series you're working on, it reminded me of...well another series with a very similar synopsis...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about."
I actually don't know what you're talking about--again, probably because "alternate world where inhabitants practice magic" is such a vague description, and this could apply to any number of fantasy books.
Have a great New Year as well, and thank you again for your lovely comments! I hope you don't take my response to heart, either!
Hi again!
ReplyDeleteI agree, there are a number of books that follow the same premises and that is precisely what I meant (sorry, I should have been more clear in my first post). While alternate universe + magic is a brilliant idea, it happens to be something that is widely used. Now, there is nothing wrong with that at all, I only wondered if you might one day consider doing something that hasn't been thought of? Which, I hoped, wouldn't sound rude.
Also, I was wondering if chose to write about this because something else inspired you, or if the idea to write about this came solely from you. In either case, it's wonderful that you're writing. It's so great that inspiration creates thoughts which turn into wonderful projects, but I also like how ideas can suddenly come to us when we least expect it, when they appear in our minds out of "thin air".
I specifically had Harry Potter in mind when I mentioned another series. Like you said, there are loads of stories with this same premises, because it's so vague, it's simply a template...a basic foundation. However, I thought it best to mention just one example, since there are many. Also, you mentioned your love for the Harry Potter series and I thought it might possibly have been a source of inspiration for you. A few years ago, I read some Harry Potter fan fiction that you wrote (which I absolutely loved) on either an old blog of yours or a fan site dedicated to you. So it seems as though that series is dear to your heart.
I hope this clears things up!
Hey, thanks for clarifying! You didn't sound rude at all; I was just confused. I realize it is widely used, and yes, since I am a Harry Potter fan, it probably influenced me. But I'm writing about it not because I want to write a story like JK Rowling, but because it's what I want to write about. And honestly, because I'm such a huge Harry Potter fan, I've worked extra hard to make sure my books are as different as possible. I know how easy it is to write what's basically a pale imitation of your favorite books, so I took steps to set it apart. If I did my job right (which I'm hoping I did!), they're very different books.
ReplyDeleteThe reason I didn't know you were referring to Harry Potter is because I think we were using different definitions of "alternate universe." Of course, Harry Potter is in a different universe because there's magic, but it still technically takes place on Earth. In my books, the characters do not live on Earth, but in a separate world entirely. Also, while the alternate universe/magic thing is important to my story, it is definitely not the main focus. It revolves around a plot not explored in Harry Potter.
Again, thank you so much for your thoughts and feedback! And this definitely isn't the only book idea I've got. :)
Hey Morgan New York! Ha,ha... Ok, stupid joke...Sorry...
ReplyDeleteWell, first of all, sorry if I'm off topic, but this is my first message to you, and I would post it at your Twitter instead, but, of course, Twitter doesn't allow more than 140 letters! Which is the reason I don't use Twitter, because I just can't understand what can I say in 140 letters!
Anyway, I found an old CD with photos from movies I had "burned" a gazzilion years ago, and I found a photo of you from "The Pacifier", and I thought "where the heck is this girl now?". So, I went to IMDB and I was shocked to see that the last movie you did was "Cheaper By The Dozen 2", 8 years ago! Which I haven't seen, I don't think I've seen the first one either, but I WILL WATCH THEM soon!
So, long story short, I found this blog, and...I'm speechless...I don't know you, I hadn't seen you for years (well, I don't watch Hannah Montana!), and I'm not even a book guy, I'm into movies and music, but I would just like to express, that I'm deeply moved that you realized in so young age that acting and Hollywood red carpets is not the reason you were brought in this life, but literature... And you follow your dream, you read tons of books, you write your own book... I find it really beautiful, and inspiring... Thank you, for not being like all the other girls in your age who are obsessed with fame and all that, but instead, you chose to believe in yourself, and do what you REALLY love.
It's somehow "weird" to see that that little girl in that Vin Diesel movie, has grown up and reads Tolstoy and Joyce...Wow...
I read some of your posts, and I really, really like the way you write. I'm so happy to see that you take language so seriously. I wish I was more into literature, so we could discuss about the books you read, but you know what? Maybe you'll encourage me with this blog to start!
Closing, I want to say that I'm a scriptwriter/director (I've made 5 short films and have written 5 feature length screenplays), so, yes, like you, I have written too, and I must say that my screenplays seem more like novels like normal movie screenplays!!
And I want to say that I have thought about many-many ideas for movies, and in ONE of them, which I consider it one of my best, and I thought about it I think the time "The Pacifier" was released, the main character is a little girl, and...I had you in mind! I was really daydreaming that we would make this movie one day. But, now the chance is gone, I don't think you can play a 12 year old girl anymore! You're..taller...Ha!
Before I go, 2 quick questions:
1) I read that you've been writing a series of books occurring in an alternate universe. Have you written any other novel/story beside this?
2) Since I'm Greek, I wonder if you have heard/read any Greek writers. The most famous one of the 20th Century, must be Nikos Kazantzakis (ok, this is so surreal, I can't believe I'm talking about Kazantzakis with the little girl from "The Pacifier"!), and his most famous book is "The Last Temptation Of Christ", which, as you probably know, was made a movie by Martin Scorsese in 1988. Have you read it?
Ok, sorry for the long message, but just like you, I would write A LOT, but I better stop here for now. Be sure I'll be reading your interesting posts and literature adventures!
And again, thank you for doing what you love and believe! It inspires me!
By the way, the glasses REALLY suit you!
ReplyDeleteWow, this is an incredibly flattering post! Thank you so much for all your compliments, George, and for your enthusiasm! I'm so thrilled you've gotten so much out of my blog and that you like the way I write. If you like how I write, maybe someday a literary agent/publisher will, too!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your screenwriting/filmmaking ventures! And, again, I'm very flattered that you had me in mind. As for me being taller...I've only grown three inches since I was twelve. That's not an exaggeration. At 12, I was five feet, and now I'm 5'3".
Answers to your questions:
1) I'm actually working on a series with this premise. I'm in the middle of the third novel of the series (there will be four). After that, I'm planning to write a contemporary novel set in Ireland. I have also written some other, shorter pieces, but most are just scribblings. I haven't had anything published (yet!).
2) I haven't read Kazantzakis! I'm not very familiar with Greek literature. I didn't know about the movie either. But then again, I'm kind of naive when it comes to movie history.
I'm so happy I was able to inspire you! Thank you so much for leaving a comment, and thanks about the glasses!
I'm gonna say it again, but this is so surreal...Life is full of surprises. How could I imagine in 2005, when I was sitting in a movie theater watching "The Pacifier", that 7 years later I would be talking with that little girl about serious literature!
ReplyDeleteThanks for replying, it's very enthusiastic to talk with you. It's not that I'm just talking with a former (as you say!) young actress, but it's a high intelligent one! I still try to believe that this little girl reads...Dostoyevsky and stuff!
Yes, I like how you write, because it's not a typical "hey guys, whassup??" celebrity blog, but it has mature thinking, and it's cute and serious at the same time, and you talk about interesting stuff, and not just what kind of lipstick you wear!
It is very courageous of you to start with a novel series as your first work. If you felt it, you had to do it.
You are still very-very young. Being a writer is not very simple, at least at the beginning. It's ok IF your first work won't get noticed. Keep trying. You know perfectly well that so many known (now) writers had many rejections in the beginning (how many did Rowling have for Potter, 9 rejections?). If something doesn't work out, leave it for the moment, and go to the next one. You're still 20 (in a few days!), even if you get your first work published at 30, it will be a success! That was the age of Rowling when the first Potter was published! Before that, she was starving! And Stephen King was 27 when his first book (Carrie) was published. So, patience!
Meanwhile, just getting feedback from friends and relatives is very precious. When I did my short films, I didn't care much of how many people are gonna watch them. It was enough for me if I got good feedback from a few people. I was young, I was creating something for the first time. I wasn't dreaming to become a millionaire!
Just creating something, whatever it is, and it affects even ONE person, then you're on a good way. Moby wrote in the leaflet of one of his cd's "if 30 people bought this cd and you're one of them and reading this right now, I thank you". Well, ok, it eventually sold millions of copies (!!), but I really believe that he felt this way.
How many pages is each novel that you wrote?
I was so stupid to forget that Kazantzakis' most famous book is "Zorba The Greek"! Come on, I'm sure you've heard it... And the movie is very famous too.
For your convenience, I attach you here Wikipedia's link to the book, to get some info. I'm not sure if it's gonna be your thing, but if you ever gonna read a Greek book, I think "Zorba" would be the one. It's very famous worldwide, many educated Americans know about it, and him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorba_the_Greek
Sorry (again!) for the long message, but I'm a very communicative person, nature made me this way! I can't help it! You can imagine that I'm just unable to use Twitter with its 140 letters per message!
Oh, and one question: don't you feel like being a writer is a lonely thing? I mean, yes, maybe every art feels lonely when you create something (a painting, a music piece, a sculpture, whatever), but being a writer, and especially at the beginning, when no one knows you, it feels (for me) very lonely, because unlikely a painting or a piano piece, a book is a lot of work!
It's just you, and your characters... You create entities with soul. They might be just letters on the computer screen, but they begin to exist in a different dimension, you know? They come out of you. And sometimes it "frightens" me (when I write a screenplay) that I create this 28 year old woman, and the situations she's going through. I must decide her fate. Is she gonna find the love of her life and live happily, or is she gonna die?
And, it just feels weird being alone in your room, just you and them...
Ok, bye, and...thank you for...being!
Oh, and about the taller thing, I meant that you couldn't play my role anymore, because you have grown up! I honestly didn't know how tall you are. I don't know how tall any celebrity is! I don't care about that stuff, I care of what personality she is, and how much "tall" she is in her...brain! And in there, you're much taller than 5'33'!
ReplyDeleteI'm very glad you enjoy the content of my blog! I try to be as thoughtful as possible and not to waste a post on something meaningless. I'd be in trouble if I tried to write a blog post about what lipstick I wear--except on very special occasions, I don't wear lipstick!
ReplyDeleteYes, sometimes I still have to remind myself how young I am and how much time I have to produce something that people will see. So, if I just keep learning about the craft and about the industry, I will hopefully wind up a published author. There are no guarantees, of course, but the only thing I can do is keep trying and working! And I'm pretty sure Rowling got way more than nine rejections. Nine is barely any, and I think she got a lot.
I'm afraid I haven't heard of Zorba! But thank you for sending me the link. Maybe I will be able to read it someday.
As for your comment about writing being a lonely venture, it depends. Sometimes it can feel lonely, but I never really feel "alone" with my characters, and I'm lucky enough that I feel like I have support (from family, friends, etc.). So, yes, it is something you do on your own at first, but as you show it to other people/get feedback/work with agents, editors and publishers, it becomes a joint effort.
And paintings and piano pieces are a LOT of work, too! I wouldn't discredit those!
Thanks again for reading!
-Morgan
When you're a filmmaker and you write a screenplay and you direct a film, when it's released, million of people across the planet watch it (well, if it becomes a success that is!), but it's not only you who did this film. It's hundreds of other people too who collaborated in the making of this film.
ReplyDeleteBut being a writer...it's just you and your computer (it used to be something called "typewriter", I don't know, never tried it, and it must have been a b**ch writing and correcting on that thing!). Ok, yes, it's also your agent, your publisher, your editor, the translators around the world, etc.,but, in the bottom line, it's just YOU who puts these words on paper.
So, it's weird being alone in a room writing this thing for a year or more, and suddenly, 2 million (random number) people are reading it. You sit in your balcony alone, and you know, that right now, 2 million people are reading and laugh and cry with what you wrote. It's a strange power, isn't it?
I read your post again (the "Rock and an Old Place" one), and I want to say that ,as a filmmaker, I'm in the same position like you. When I was a teenager and I was first realizing that doing movies is what I would like to do, I wanted to make fantasy films, because, like every kid, I loved them. But, "diving" into the cinema thing more deeply, I discovered the great films, the greats directors, and at age 14, I was already watching films for grown ups. So, I discovered that there's something more in cinema than dragons and wizards and fairy lands.
Everything I've done and written so far is mature stuff. Realism. Ordinary people living ordinary situations. Which I like, but I would love so much to write a fantasy story.
But,right now, I have to be realistic and write and make films I'm able to (in a book, it's only words, you can write whatever you like, but a movie needs a budget!). It doesn't mean that I don't like them, I do, but I would like once, just for a change, to find my child self again, and write about dragons and knights.
So, just like you, I'm stuck between these two places. The great directors who made great films. Just like you, whenever I go to a DVD store, I go to the "classic films" section! Because it's there where the "wisdom" is. I guarantee you that NO scriptwriter or author will ever write a good work, if he hasn't DEVOURED the great ones. I'm not talking about reading the "10 greatest books ever written", I'm talking about reading every book of every great writer, at least. You have to read as many as you can. Even the not great ones. You have to STUDY how this great author started, and how he evolved.
And from the other hand, my desire to write a story about a princess and a dragon (random example!).
So, my advice to you, is keep your Harry Potter books next to your Tolstoy and Dostoevsky books. They're ALL good. Each for its own reasons. Reading ONLY Potter stuff wouldn't be right, and reading ONLY serious literature would limit you. We must keep the child inside us alive until they day we die. You see Spielberg, he made "Schindler's List" 20 years ago, and now he made "Tin-Tin". He's the perfect example of a director who is mature and a child in perfect balance. He does what his HEART tells him to do. That's why I love him. He has made full circle in his career. In the SAME year, 1993 (the year you were born!) he made a movie about dinosaurs ("Jurassic Park"), and a movie about the Holocaust. Two completely different movies, of different genres. But he BELIEVED in both of them. Because he LOVES his art.
So, with that perfect example of one of my very favorite directors, I bid you farewell for now, and I hope you liked my response, and made you understand that there are others stuck between these two places too!
Thanks for the hospitality in your lovely site! Bye!
p.s.: Hey, I got an e-mail notification that said that you follow my Twitter account, but I don't see any followers. Anyway, there's nothing to "follow" really! I don't "tweet" anything!
ReplyDeletep.s.2: I also wrote a message in your July 2010 post entitled "Reading List". Just in case you missed it!
ReplyDeletep.s.3: To sum up, you're doing the right thing! You read classic authors, and you write a fantasy series, because that's what you feel like. You couldn't do better than that right now! The great classic books open your mind! If you were reading ONLY fantasy books, and wanting to write ONLY a fantasy book/series, it would probably be a decent "copy" of them, in best case scenario. Reading different stuff expands your inner world!
ReplyDeleteAnd remember one very simple, but very important thing. You are Morgan York.
(Got it? Good!)
Thanks for all of your comments, George! They're really interesting to read! I definitely keep Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and Rowling all in the same bookshelf, because they're all dear to my heart. And that's a good point about reading the not so great literature. I'm a firm believer that bad literature can teach you just as much about writing as good literature can. For example, Twilight taught me exactly what type of writer I don't want to be.
ReplyDeleteI would love to have a career like Spielberg's (well, who wouldn't?) where he feels free to make whatever he wants, no matter what the category. I hate the idea of writing within the same genre for the rest of my life.
And yes, I agree about how important it is to "devour the great ones!" No matter what medium you're a part of, you should familiarize yourselves with its masters (painters should study da Vinci and Van Gogh, musicians should know Beethoven and Chopin, etc.).
"For example, Twilight taught me exactly what type of writer I don't want to be."
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to read this! I haven't read any of the books (Lord have mercy!), but I've seen the movies, and with the exception of the first one (which was just ok), the rest were inconceivably awful!
Ok, now I'd like to take the courage to ask you for something. I know that you can't send to any of your fans here a sample of your work (although we'd love to!), but I'd like to send you one of mine! It would mean a lot to me to have your opinion! It's a screenplay I wrote 12 years ago, about a rod trip of 5 teenagers across America (no, it's not the one I thought having you in mind, I never wrote that!), and I would just love to have your feedback, exclusively as a writer to a writer! I don't want to send it to Morgan York, the former child actress, I want to send it to Morgan York the aspiring writer!
If you accept, then I guess the only way to do it, would be via e-mail, so if you don't want me to send it to your personal e-mail, you can just make a temporary one very quickly, and I'll send it there! You can find my e-mail in my profile here.
Again, it would mean a lot to me, because it's about American teenagers, and you are one, so you're the perfect reader who maybe will identify with them. Well...at least for a week, because you turn 20 in 8 days! So hurry! : )
Ok, whatever you feel like. Bye!
Hmm, I will have to consider this. I am very wary about giving out my e-mail to strangers, even temporary ones. This is because I have had people stalk and harass me before. Also, having just started a new semester, I am now very busy. I'm taking as many credits as I'm allowed to take in a semester for the first time, and one of my classes involves reading 800 pages worth of student-written fiction (it's a creative writing workshop). Thank you so much for putting enough confidence in me to ask, but I'm not sure if I would have enough time to give your script a thorough review.
ReplyDeleteWait a minute...Are you calling me a..."stalker"??
ReplyDeleteHa,ha! Kidding! Well, I don't know how can be possible for someone to stalk someone else with a temporary e-mail. I mean, it's not Facebook or anything,it's just a "fake" e-mail. But on the other hand, my hacking skills are way worst than Vin Diesel's writing skills (!!), so, I don't know.
Yes, ok, I understand. Well, let's give it a raincheck. Maybe we can consider it again in summer. Of...2013... :p
So, you're gonna read other students' stories in this class?
p.s.: Oh, I forgot to say, my screenplay is only 9 words! Yeah, I wrote it on Twitter! So, I don't have to send it on e-mail, I'll copy/paste it right here!
EXTERIOR - JAKE'S HOUSE - NIGHT
Jake eats pizza.
THE END.
Well?? What did you think of it???
Oh, and don't get it wrong, it's gonna be 2 hours! Yeah, he's gonna be eating this pizza for 2 hours. Like an Andy Warhol film! Like that one where a guy eats a mushroom for an hour!
Well the only thing i will say is that is you wish for somethingh from the core of your heart and never gave it up you are going to get it. So don't stop because life is very long with both faces gain and loss.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck
Thanks so much! Good luck to you, too!
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome
ReplyDelete