Sunday, June 27, 2010

Respect for the English Language

As I have made more than perfectly clear, I am a writer. Do not confuse writing with something that I do. Acting is something I do, meaning that I enjoy taking part in it from time to time and am relatively good at it. Reading is something I do, and I enjoy it thoroughly. Writing, on the other hand, is something I am. I cannot go for long without doing it. It is the air I breathe and, I believe, my reason for being here. Whenever someone asks me what I'm going to do (which can be an infuriating question--how can one live in the moment but stay prepared for the future simultaneously?), all I answer is that I'm going to write. I do not go into specifics, I merely leave it at that vague statement, because this is something I can say with certainty. I will write until I die. I don't know if I will ever be published or if anyone will ever read my works. I don't know if my writing will ever earn me any income. I don't know what I will write or if I will even stick to the novel format (although I hope I do). I just know that, wherever life takes me, I will be writing.

In addition to being a writer, I am also a spelling/grammar stickler, and I am aware that the two are closely related. However, it is possible to be one and not the other. I know at least one example of each. After plenty instances of correcting people's typos, grammar in their speech (which I am more relaxed about, since speech is often riddled with grammatical errors for the plain reason that there is less time that one can put into something spoken and allows little to no premeditation), and essays gone awry, I started to consider why it was that such errors bothered me so much. At first I figured it was a quirk of mine, a pet peeve, and pet peeves can be pesky, considering I have no idea what the psychology behind them could be, although I have always been interested. Then, upon contemplating it further, I came to a conclusion: it is because I am not only enamored with the English language, but I have the utmost respect for it.

You see, the English language is my dear companion and co-worker. It has been my lovely colleague for as long as I can remember and, without it, I could not practice my craft (unless I spoke some other language, but since I don't, that's irrelevant). This means that the words that make up the English language are my trusty tools. I depend on them to be firm and unflinching when I write them down, never straying from their dictionary-approved spelling unless they have a British counterpart ("color" and "colour" spring to mind). They are handy, often beautiful, and useful in a myriad of ways. There are so many of them that they yield countless different combinations, so that humans can continue to find new things to say and new ways to say them without accidental imitation or plagiarism of a past English speaker. I am forever indebted to the words of the English language for supplying me with an effective way to articulate my thoughts and express my feelings. They are everything from cathartic to practical.

As a result, I balk at phemonena such as chatspeak or the deliberate misspelling of words in an attempt to give off a certain impression or conform to some ridiculous fad. I am not entirely frigid in this regard--I make some allowances, such as technical errors that count as honest mistakes, stamps of individuality, or creative license. Any grammatical/spelling errors used in dialogue for a novel or play are excused since that is meant to capture a realistic tone. However, what I cannot stand is when the English language is disrespected out of pure laziness. The invention of the English language, which is constantly evolving, has been a long, effortful process, and somebody who disregards such hard, sincere work is worthy of condemnation. Anyone who treats the English language like a used dishrag is disrespecting my tools, tools that I am extremely protective of and will jump to the defense of in a heartbeat.

Let me mention a few examples. Say you are a painter. You care for your paintbrushes in the most maternal manner and are all right with others touching them, so long as they treat them the way they deserve to be treated. I wouldn't go so far as to say misspelling a word is like snapping one of these paintbrushes in half--that would indicate malice, and it seems that most spelling/grammatical errors are made not out of blatant disrespect for the language, but out of carelessness. Okay, that works. Say I was careless with your paintbrush and left it out in a sandbox, or perhaps wasn't paying attention as I played with the bristles and then ruined them. You, as the painter, would be more than unhappy. You would feel disrespected, in a way, as the politician can't help but be miffed when his candidate's poster becomes subject to frivolous graffiti. You would feel that your tool had been wronged. It's not even about the cost it would take to replace it. If it were left in the sand, you could simply get it cleaned, but that is not the issue. The issue is that your tool, your method of creation, has been mistreated. If you were a dancer, what if I was not careful and spilled barbecue sauce on your pointe shoes? If you were a filmmaker, what if I was not watching your camera like I said I would, giving anyone the opportunity to steal it? What if you were an actor and I left your script out in the rain, causing the papers to dry all wrinkled and rough?

You may be thinking, Jesus, woman, I make typos all the time, and I don't get so nitpicky about it. Typos are understandable, since we often type quickly and have become far too dependent on Microsoft Word's spellcheck feature (one of my many qualms with today's technology, and I promise, the list is a long one. But that's another rant for another day). With some proofreading, however, they can be fixed. Some of us just cannot grasp the concept of spelling or grammar well, perhaps similar to the way I can't wrap my head around many mathematical procedures. That is perfectly fine. All I am asking is that you be careful. If you notice a mistake, change it. If you're writing out a quick comment, read it over before pressing the "submit" button. As a result, you will come across as a more intelligent, thoughtful human being. Putting thought into your actions is important and can give a lasting impression, even if it is something as seemingly miniscule as this. Also, room for mistakes only goes so far. What I abhor seeing are sentences like this:

"Hay!! gurl, we need 2 go 2 tha mall immeeditly! their having a sale! i will ketch u l8r k?? meet u @ tha fountain."

What the hell is that? If you look at the examples "hay", "gurl", "tha", and "ketch", they make no sense. Chatspeak is meant to provide a quicker, easier way to say things, which unfortunately means abusing words until they are hardly recognizable. But what makes no sense about these is that they require the same amount of effort as their correct counterparts. "Hay" and "hey" each have three letters, as do "tha" and "the", and "gurl" and "girl" each have four letters. There is no reason to spell them incorrectly, at least none that I can understand. Please enlighten me. The 2's can easily become "to". It's one extra key. It's not that difficult. As for the "@"...holding down "2" and "shift" actually seems like more work to me than just spelling out "at".

Don't get me wrong. Everyone has used chatspeak at least once in their lives. I've used it plenty, although recently I have stopped altogether, except maybe for the occasional "brb". Chatspeak is fine by me as long as it is used in moderation and used appropriately. I would prefer to read something that does not include "lol" as every other word (and I use the word "word" loosely here). Again, the English language is a beautiful thing, so please treat it as such. Unless you speak a different language, you cannot hope to go through life without it.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone is a human being and is prone to error. I've made so many mistakes I've lost count, and if you can count the amount of mistake you've made, you are a Google bot that has hacked into my journal and I now ask you to get out. Go find a captcha to attempt to read; you're not wanted here. I'm sure there are even some typos in this very journal entry, and if there are, that would be hilariously ironic and you are welcome to try and find them. All I am saying is, next time you write something, anything, think before you write it down. Respect the language, please.

-Morgan

13 comments:

  1. hey morgan.
    just wanted to drop a message saying good luck on the book progress!
    Also the picture on top of this blog is so pretty !!

    all the best and have a great summer <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first paragraph, you wrote "I don't know if I will ever be published". I think you meant "I don't know if it will ever be published". I might be wrong, since I'm not very good at English. I live in Lebanon, a country where people have no respect for the English language. I've always been criticized for reading and writing in English. Talented writers like you are my inspiration. I had a hard time trying to understand this journal, yet I enjoyed every minute of reading it.
    There is no more pleasure than being a fan of a great writer. When you love a great writer, you learn great things from them. Great morals and great principles of life, so please keep writing on your journal. With anticipation, your biggest fan Bilal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great that we all can be able to see this side of you.I'm also working on a novel,and it is wonderfull to know that there is still people that values reading and writting inside this world full of technology. Best wishes from Argentina. Leti

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to say, first off, that I absolutely love your style of writing. I have seen many good writers pen many stupid and unimportant things, but you have the ability, the sense, and more importantly, the passion to become a great writer. You are an inspiration. While I enjoy your acting, this is the better path for you. A lot of people act, but it's hard to find a good writer! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe the problem in my country isn't disrespect, but discrimination against other languages and cultures. Our government recently banned a school text book because it contains excerpts from the diary of Anne Frank. So what these people are telling us is that we're not allowed to read a book because the author is Jewish. How would you feel if you were in my place?
    This ban was after a protest which took place last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ3V2ManeZc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Morgan I was wondering what happened to Wendy's Twitter and does she use the nickname Rachael Wildimire?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such an inspiration! I hope you the best in your efforts to get published. Writing is also my passion, and an amazing stress relief.

    I completely agree with your views here. It can be unbearable to see people butcher English like they do. I think it may stem more from a lack of caring than anything else. It may also be the terrible education we receive in parts of the country. I recently graduated from a school in South Dakota and I personally found that the lack of interest, and the resulting poor education that is received, has a huge impact on this issue.

    As I mentioned before, good luck with your publishing efforts, maybe you will post a preview of your book for us on here?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Morgan, haha I like your honesty. It is suposed for us (writers)to be honest.
    But why you get into so much trouble trying to explain how do people must write?

    Think about your own work. You see I have novels without a single period, comma, etc. Someone asked why. I said: I don't mean to be polite; my writing isn't. Why be hypocritical?

    Straighness gets you clasified. Freedom is living; as you said: Breathing.

    So if you insist in make it right: 1. You'll never get it. 2. Does it really make a difference to you?

    Choose: Arbitrariness or simply as I do: Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, you are so good at this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ops, I will post on this old entry, but I guess it is ok.

    I just wanted to say that the love for the language ones have is natural, it happens to every one (that has the sensibility :P)in almost every place, but your defence is sincere.

    Cheers,

    (Any typo errors are because of your imagination (and because I am not native english speaker =) ) )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Morgan, I just discovered your blog and I must say I agree with you, 100%. Being both an avid English reader and writer, I love your points. Though English is not my first language, but I love and respect it as it is. It is quite frustrating to see that sometimes English speakers themselves do not use the language correctly. I guess you have to own it up to the technology.
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always thought that using text-speak was more difficult than just typing out the words, except in some instances.

    Even before touchscreen and QWERTY phones were popular, typing "2" took more effort than typing "to," which totally defeats the purpose, unless you absolutely need to save space to fit a long message into a 160-character space (or 140, as is the case with Twitter).

    Butchering the English language (and others, too) also leads to headaches as the recipient would need more time and effort to process the message. Even reading your short sample got me frustrated!

    With today's unlimited SMS plans and autocorrect, there's no point in text-speak.

    Good luck with your books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all every language have its greatness in its own way so there is no need to explain its greatness. And i am happy that you have repect for the language while most people in today's world have not.

    And i am using this social networks like facebook, orkut etc for the past two years but honestly speaking i have not learn using chatspeak till now. Its seems more difficult to me than normally writing the full words. It gone over my head.

    And i love the languages to

    ReplyDelete